Thursday, August 21, 2008

Memory card, memory card who's got the memory card?

"I Want My Card"
Cops Deny Seizing Pictures Of Takedown In Elmwood

Chris Kitching
Winnipeg Sun
August 21, 2008
Page 4

It's a classic he-said-she-said quandary - a Winnipeg man has accused a city police officer of seizing his digital camera's memory card, but policy deny keeping any of his belongings.

Paul St. Laurent said the memory card was taken when he was detained while taking pictures of an arrest on Keenleyside Street in Elmwood on Tuesday afternood.

As of yesterday, St. Laurent said the memory card had not been returned and he was considering filing a complaint with the Law Envorcement Review Agency.

St. Laurent did not see anyone remove the card but said it was in the camera when a male officer took it, and missing when police let him out of a cruiser and returned the camera.
"I said, 'Where's my memory card? I want my card.' I said it out loud and he ignored me," St. Laurent, 38, said." I figured that was not the time or place given what happened so I thought I'd get it back later through the proper channels."
Police spokesman Constable Jason Michalyshen was adamant no officer kept any property belonging to St. Laurent.
"I'm telling you right now we have seized nothing from this individual," Michalyshen said yesterday.
Detained
Michalyshen said St. Laurent was detained not for taking pictures but becaue he disobeyed offers' demands to move back from the crime scene.
"He seemed to be the only one who refused to stay back," Michalyshen said. "He was making it difficult for the officers to do their jobs."
St. Laurent said an officer told him he was allowed to take pictures if he stayed out of the way.
St. Laurent said police did nto warn or tell him he was interfering.
He said one officer told him to stop snapping pictures, but he continued because he was not breaking the law and was several feet away from the scene.
"I was not in their way," St. Laurent said.
"(The officer) took exception to the camera."
St. Laurent, who was handcuffed, was not charged. St. Laurent said he was taking pictures on behalf of a friend who is in the media.
A pair of lawyers, who did not want to be identified, said in such a case police must have reasonable and probable grounds to seize a memory card from someone.
The ordeal unfolded after police arrested two auto theft suspects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home