Is the MMF's election process still flawed Mr. Trachtenberg ..... "well is it?"
Truth To Power (www.accesstoinfo.blogspot.com; email@example.com)
Our favourite Murrayism? There have been so many but what about this quote from the Winnipeg Sun ("Lawyer slams Metis election decision" - May 5, 2004) after Court of Queen's Justice Perry Schulman overturned the results of the March 2003:
It is neither necessary nor . . . wanted for the courts to intervene." said Murray Trachtenberg, lawyer for the MMF. "The judgment will not achieve any correction of a flawed process. "The judgment will be to greater hardship . . . widespread disenfranchisement and a climate of political uncertainty." (emphasis ours)
You're only getting pizza and haircut money ($17 = Toonie for David Chartrand plus Loonie for each remaining Plaintiffs) no Camaros!
Clare L. Pieuk
T-Minus 10 Days and Counting: "Counsel to the Plaintiffs" and "His Clients"
From: Vic Populi firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM
Subject: TOP TEN "MURRAYISMS" OF ALL TIME
What most people don't realize about Manitoba Metis Federation counsel Murray Trachtenberg is that he is more, much more, than a legal wunderkind. Admittedly, his role as counsel to the plaintiffs in the lawsuit against Terry Belhumeur and you will itself prove sufficient to ensure him a place in Manitoba legal history. Personally, I believe it has been brilliant strategy. Very soon, Mr. Trachtenberg will obtain a seven-figure judgment against you. Fight all you like, he's coming at you like a gestetner and you will have no choice but to cough up the dough. When you and your ex-comrade Mr. Belhumeur pay up, his clients will have more money than they know what to do with. Truly, it will be the litigation lottery. They will be driving around in Camaros, and will be able to order more pizzas and get more haircuts than they ever thought possible in a human lifetime. Surely even a scofflaw such as you can appreciate how nice this would be for them? As a judgment debtor, you will contribute to a fine - and early - Christmas for the entire MMF board.
Their counsel Murray Trachtenberg will have made it all possible. However, Mr. Trachtenberg over the years has proven - to me, at least - that he is much more than a legal hatchetman. Very few know of it, and those who do wish they didn't, but Mr. Trachtenberg also has an uncanny knack for one-liners. In following his career over the past few years (my personal observations of selected Trachtenberg courtroom performances, coupled with additional research and perusal of materials on the public record), I have discovered that Mr. Trachtenberg is a comedic genius as well as a legal one.
TOP TEN "MURRAYISMS" OF ALL TIME
10. "As at the time of swearing this Affidavit I have had no response to this letter."
9. "My instructions are to oppose any request for an adjournment."
8. "I suggest that you immediately request the person responsible for the publication of this affidavit on Truth To Power to remove it from the blog."
7. "The plaintiffs state that the indication by counsel for the defendants that these documents would be provided 'for the public record' was meant to intimidate them in the pursuit of this action."
6. "I suggest that you immediately remove these defamatory items from your website and issue a full and complete retraction and apology to Mr. Chartrand and the Board of Directors of the Manitoba Metis Federation Inc. in order to mitigate the damages that will be sought from you."
5. "With respect to the remainder of the questions of the plaintiffs, they object to answering on the grounds that the questions are irrelevant and/or scandalous and/or vexatious."
4. "I am not leading my own witness!"
3. "None of the positions on the MMF Board of Directors, except for the office of President, are salaried positions."
2. "GOVERN YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY!"
1. "It does not behoove you as counsel to make threats to me as I am leaving the courtroom."
This list is by no means exhaustive. I invite you to think up your own. It's easy and fun!
The Ol' Vic